Administrative Computing Committee

December 18, 1996 1:30pm


Ed Wines, Chair; David Heise, Secretary; Harvey Brenneise, Elaine Hoilette, Rich Forrester, Lisa Jardine, Rebecca May, Robert Moon, David Penner, Bob Robinson, Sue Schwab, Karen Wade
APOLOGIES David Burghart, Mark Clayton, Kendall Hill, Mailen Kootsey
ABSENT Merle Bascom, Dean Hunt, Doug Miller


Elaine Hoilette


The minutes of the November 18, 1996 meeting were approved.


Lisa Jardine gave a report on the state of check receipting. Checks up to 2 months old have still not been recorded because of outstanding problems with missing "9" numbers. Leo Chan has been working to fix this problem, but it is complicated by the fact that we have duplicate PIDMs and cross linked IDs in some of our tables. This is also partly responsible for some address errors that have been found, but misunderstandings about address hierarchies and the proper use of address types is also a factor.
  Agreed: Mark Clayton and Sue Schwab will work on solving the problems with IDs.
  Agreed: David Heise will coordinate an effort to manage the data entry and use of addresses.


Karen Wade reported that Mistee Arias has interviewed the majority of non-resident alien students and staff, and that all is in readiness for the first pay of January.


Karen Wade reported that further work was being done building reports. Some reports are made more difficult through having to join two ledgers in a single query.


Sue Schwab gave an update on the status of registration in Banner. It was found that the hold data that was loaded was out by one ID number. In addition, some holds data was edited or deleted in this state for the wrong person. This made the data recovery a very involved and time-consuming task for Sue and Limin Guo.
  Memory limitations on the Sequent were again a source of problems during registration. Processing of Yellow Sheets was slow on Monday, but improved significantly after the SQL code was made more efficient.
  Although registration is now in Banner, there are major tasks still to be completed.
  * class lists at start of quarter
* grade reports
* history load
* transcripts
  Elaine Hoilette reported receiving phone calls from parents about not receiving statements. Some of this could be due to the policy regarding a student's right to determine who is to receive their statement. However, some of it is due to the lack of a home address, which is a data error, or due to an improper use of the address hierarchy.
  Agreed: Sue Schwab will document the use of address types in Banner.
  It was also reported that the Yellow Sheet program chooses randomly between local and home addresses.
  Agreed: Sue Schwab and Mark Clayton will alter the program to take the local address first if it exists, otherwise the home address.
  The proper use of addresses and their validation revealed some pressing needs in this area. David Penner requested a move to Banner Web for Students as soon as possible to facilitate address validation. This will allow students to check their own addresses and trigger an email with corrections if necessary.
  Harvey Brenneise expressed concern over the reliability and security of Andrews web servers for administrative purposes. This will become increasingly important, not only for Student Records, but also for Alumni and Public Relations.
  Agreed: The Web Committee needs to become proactive in determining web server requirements, as well as in other web-related areas.


David Heise reported on data entry progress in PowerFAIDS. The data entry estimate given by Jason Loucks of 3 minutes per student turned out to be 20 minutes per student in actual practice. This was not because of the slowness of the machine but because of the need to check documents during input.
  Ed Wines reported that he had been given an undertaking that all aid would be on statements by registration, but in fact only 300 out of about 1500 students were entered. Many calls had been received from angry parents waiting to know how much they owed, after aid, before paying their student's fees. In this situation, the university is unable to charge interest on overdue fee payments, and is foregoing legitimate interest charges.
  Agreed: Following a motion by Rebecca May which was seconded by Harvey Brenneise, Ed Wines agreed to talk to Doug Miller and Dean Hunt about a letter of apology to fee payers.


David Heise reported that, as unbelievable as it sounds, bugs were being found that were preventing installation of some of the Banner and Oracle software on the Solaris 2.4 platform. A couple of these had already taken 3 to 4 days each before the necessary fixes were delivered and installed. However, it is still hoped that the platform conversion will take place over the last weekend of 1996, in time for the Winter registration to take place on the borrowed Sun.
  Sue Schwab highlighted the need for retraining when we move from Banner 2.0 to 2.1. Banner 2.1 can run in text or GUI mode or a mixture of both. For acceptable performance, GUI mode would require a PC with at least a 486 33Mhz CPU. Banner 2.2 or Banner 2000 as it is now known is web based and will run on any machine capable of running a browser, including the NC (Network Computer). This version is 6 to 12 months away from release.


Forms for collecting details about PCs requiring security cables have been prepared and circulated. Some have already been returned. When sufficient of these have been returned, an initial purchase of locking cable kits will be ordered and installation will begin.


Five sets of materials on the conference were distributed, and representatives from each area were asked to collect details about who would be attending from their area.
  * Karen Wade - Human Resources
* Rebecca May - Alumni/Development
* Rich Forrester - Finance
* David Penner - Student Records/Accounts/Housing
* David Heise - Financial Aid