> 1. Use
Search this site
6. A competent scholar with a working knowledge of:
|Development Plan||Portfolio Documentation|
Through my personal web, develop and deploy instructional materials as resources for the classes I teach.
List the web resources I have developed, and the ongoing development and adaptation to keep them relevant and effective.
This web page describes the charter of the Administrative Computing Committee, lists the current members, and links to the ITS policies and guidelines page. It's primary purpose is to provide an index to the minutes of the committee. The index is generated by a PERL script at run time, whenever the page is requested, and lists entries for the minutes in reverse date order. The script means that whenever new minutes are uploaded, they will automatically appear in the index. The minutes themselves are protected by a password.
http://www.andrews.edu/ITS/y2k/ (on personal machine only )
The Y2K Home Page served as an on campus resource for anyone involved with the Y2K project or having an interest in Y2K. The project plan was published there, along with reports on progress towards compliance, and links to useful Y2K web resources. The contents of the site were available for general access from anywhere on the web, except for the minutes of the Y2K Task Force, which met bi-weekly from June, 1998 until the project was complete. The minutes were accessible to anyone connecting from the Andrews domain. An index was generated by a PERL script at run time, which listed the entries in reverse date order.
When the Semester Conversion Steering Committee indicated that it wanted to start a web page, I built a sample web page using the Project template in FrontPage. The contents of the site have been maintained by a student under the supervision of the Communications Sub-committee. As chair of the Campus Support/Resources Sub-committee, I maintained the portion of the site containing membership details, reports, and minutes of that sub-committee. I used the site to communicate with other members of the subcommittee, and as a resource for the departments we were serving in the conversion to semesters.
Old Site: on
New Site: http://leaderpart.andrews.edu
This web site was fully developed when I entered the Leadership program and became webmaster for the site in 1996. The first challenge I set myself was to attempt some level of automation of the participant directory pages and email lists. There were about 40 participants from the 1994 and 1995 cohorts, and the 1999 cohort takes that to nearly 100. Email addresses for an individual appear in at least 4 places (by regional group and by cohort in both listservs and the web directories), and maintaining this accurately and efficiently was my goal.
I developed an Access database to hold the necessary information, and implemented a routine to synchronize the data periodically with the Paradox database held in the Leadership office via the Andrews network. I then wrote Visual Basic routines to create the HTML for the directory web pages, and upload files for maintaining the email lists.
When Leadership faculty asked me to place Regional Group Minutes on the Leadership web site, I knew I that I had to find a way to avoid adding new links each time new minutes were posted. That was when I decided to develop a PERL script to prepare an index of files in a given directory and present it in an index frame. So now, when new minutes are posted to the LeadAll list, I save the file in the appropriate group directory, and it appears in the list the next time someone visits that page.
I wanted use the web as an organizing paradigm for arranging and presenting my portfolio. I have found this to be very beneficial and satisfying. But I also I needed to restrict access, especially to some portions of my portfolio. So I set up .htaccess security to control access to the site. Visitors who have not been authorized are presented with a form rather than a web server error message, and can complete the form to request access if they so wish. The form looks like this. I also wanted to know about visits to my Leadership site, and to log the pages that were visited. I wrote another PERL script to accomplish this.
I subsequently decided that the PERL logging added too much overhead, and decided to convert my whole web site to run on on IIS server instead of on Apache. This meant I had to convert my PERL scripts to VBScript, and to create my own security system instead of using the very convenient .htaccess approach of Apache. I had to create a script that would filter every page on my web, request user logins, and check read permissions.
Created: Thursday, December 23, 1999 2:36 PM
Last Modified: Thursday, November 27, 2008 1:52 PM